Preparation: Read and study Luke 8:22-25.
Presentation: Read Luke 8:22-25. Say, Today, we are going to talk about a time that Jesus’ disciples forgot to trust Him. Jesus, together with His disciples, had been traveling to many towns teaching, preaching, and healing people. One day, He told them that they needed to travel across a huge lake to the other side. They got into a boat and began the trip.
Jesus was very tired and soon fell asleep. Many of the disciples had been fishermen before they became Jesus’ disciples, so they were probably confident that they didn’t need any help getting the boat to the other side of the lake.
However, the sky suddenly became dark and a huge storm began. The waves were very high, and the disciples were afraid. They thought they were in danger of drowning.
They woke Jesus up to tell him that they were all going to drown. Jesus got up and looked at the waves and the storm. He calmly told the storm to stop, and it did! The water was calm and quiet again.
Jesus looked at his disciples with sadness. He asked why they didn’t trust Him. The disciples should have known that Jesus would never let the storm harm them. Jesus had told the disciples they were going to the other side of the lake, and He planned to get them there safely.
Discuss the following questions:
- Who suggested they get into the boat? (Jesus)
- Why were the disciples not scared when they first got into the boat? (Most of them had been fishermen, and they trusted in themselves to sail the boat.)
- When the storm came, could the disciples take care of themselves? (No)
- Instead of trusting that Jesus would take care of them, what did the disciples do? (They woke Jesus up to tell them that they were all going to drown.)
- What did Jesus do? (He calmed the storm.)
- Why was Jesus sad? (The disciples had not trusted Jesus to take care of them.)
Say: Instead of trusting in ourselves, we need to put our trust in Jesus. He will always take care of us and help us.