Tomlinson College served a key role in leadership development in the Church of God of Prophecy from 1966 to 1992. Even though the college has been closed for almost 25 years, the impact can still be felt today with Tomlinson College graduates serving in leadership at every level of this Church.
Leadership Development is a core value of the Church of God of Prophecy and we feel it is very important to provide affordable, relevant, and accessible educational opportunities. The idea of reviving the college as Tomlinson Center on the old campus was attempted, but there was not sufficient interest or funding. While Tomlinson Center did not prove feasible, there have been strategic partnerships developed that permit us to offer degree level educational programs with a reach far beyond anything in our history.
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- Since 2010, we have seen 958 COGOP students/leaders take classes through our GCTS program.
- Over 500 COGOP students/leaders have taken a class since 2014.
- To date we have seen 80 COGOP students/leaders graduate from GCTS with a Master of Arts Degree in Religion
- We currently have 29 COGOP students/leaders pursuing a Doctor of Ministry Degree in Global Pentecostalism with GCTS (all 29 are set to graduate by 2019).
Pentecostal Theological Seminary
- COGOP now offers a Certificate in Wesleyan-Pentecostal Ministry, a Master of Arts Degree in Christian Ministry, and a Master of Arts in Counseling from Pentecostal Theological Seminary.
- In October of 2016 COGOP held its first certificate level class in the MTC with 15 students.
- New cohort groups are forming in 2017 for online and onsite masters-level classes through our partnership with PTS.
- Our partnership with PTS allows us to offer a 90 credit-hour accredited certificate in Wesleyan-Pentecostal Ministry.
These programs allow students to pursue higher education without leaving their home or place of ministry. With online opportunities, on-site instruction, and the development of the new Ministry Training Center at the International Offices, the former Tomlinson College Campus is utilized only as a rental property. In July 2016, the Finance and Stewardship Committee presented a report to the 99th International Assembly regarding the Tomlinson College property. As a matter of good stewardship, the committee requested and received approval for the International Offices to pursue a sale of the property.
On January 17, 2017, the Church of God of Prophecy reached an agreement with the Tennessee Christian Preparatory School (TCPS) for the purchase of the Tomlinson College property. TCPS has rented the majority of the campus for approximately 20 years and they feel that God has opened this door for the property to become their permanent home. Should circumstances arise that would prevent one or both parties from fulfilling their part of the agreement, the Church will pursue other potential buyers.
We are thankful for the era of Tomlinson College. The leaders developed there continue to positively impact the Church of God of Prophecy and the kingdom of God while friendships made at Tomlinson College still endure. What a legacy! It is our prayer that the legacy of developing young leaders who impact the kingdom of God will continue through TCPS.