Fields of the Wood is managed by Heritage Ministries, a department of the Church of God of Prophecy. This beautiful, biblical outdoor theme park is located on more than two hundred acres of land in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
The first temporary marker was erected on November 15,1940, at the site of the now permanent marble and concrete structure known as the Arise Shine marker. This was the beginning of an incredible project. Three other temporary markers were placed prior to the actual permanent construction which began in 1943.
The history of Fields of the Wood and the biography of A.J. Tomlinson are inextricably intertwined. It is impossible to discuss one without the other. From the Arise Shine marker, located on the site of the Bryant home where Tomlinson joined the organization that has come to be known as the Church of God of Prophecy, to the All Nations Cross, Tomlinson’s fingerprints cover the entire park.
A.J. Tomlinson, General Overseer of the Church of God of Prophecy until his death in 1943, personally directed much of the initial construction. M.A. Tomlinson, son of A. J. Tomlinson, and other leaders of the church continued this massive project after the death of A. J. Tomlinson. Many of the markers you see today were designed by L.S. Rhodes. His largest designs are the Ten Commandments and the New Testament markers.